extensive knowledge of nursery plants, their care and maintenance. Must be well organized, able to multi-task and
comfortable with inventory management and controls. Must be computer literate and able to learn inventory and POS
Applicant must work with multiple vendors and be assertive in negotiating beneficial terms. Outgoing and friendly
personality with customers is required as buyer is expected to work regularly on the sales floor.
Saturdays are required. Must be comfortable working in all weather conditions.
5+ years of industry experience required. References are required. Please include salary requirements with
Serious inquiries only.
Specific Job Requirements
- The Nursery Buyer is responsible for the purchasing, receiving and merchandising of all perennials, trees and
shrubs, actively working to achieve sales goals set by owners and management.
- Responsible for plant quality, selection, sales and promotions.
- Anticipate and respond to customer needs and requests.
- Forge mutually beneficial relationships with vendors.
- Monitor sales to ensure consistent product availability and appropriate inventory levels.
- Oversee receiving process and handle issues that may arise due to quality or discrepancies.
- Lead regular cycle counts and monthly inventory adjustments.
- Ensure product is merchandised in a compelling and customer friendly manner.
- Work with accounts payable to ensure timely and accurate processing of invoices and credit memos.
- Train sales team for product knowledge and selling.
- Enthusiastic, energetic self-starter.
- Must possess a positive professional image consistent with company standards.
- Education level is open, but must have five years experience in retail/green goods buying.
- Previous supervisory experience helpful.
- Should be certified to operate forklift or train to do so.
- Able to:
- Communicate effectively and professionally with all contacts.
- Write routine reports and business correspondence.
- Speak effectively before customers, employees or groups of people.
- Able to learn the POS system.
- Solve practical problems, remain flexible and deal with unexpected variables.
- Accept constructive input/feedback, direction about buying expectations.
- Cooperate with other department leads and teams to accomplish corporate goals.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand and walk most of the day. There is a great
deal of bending, stooping, kneeling, reaching, unloading trucks and generally taxing physical labor. Occasionally,
he/she must be able to crawl, climb or balance. Employees must frequently lift and /or move more than 50lbs with
the aid of another employee or handcart and 40lbs without assistance.
- This position may include working outside, regardless of weather, with work around bees, poison ivy, pollen,
thorns, ice and other environmental risks.
- This person’s 1 st priority is to “provide quality merchandise in a helpful, friendly manner that makes
customers desire to return.”
- This person should represent the Company with honesty, enthusiasm, and professionalism in all areas.
He/she should adhere to Company policies and procedures, support Company and management objectives
and decisions, and demonstrate dependability, trustworthiness, confidentiality, and loyalty.
- Buyers should demonstrate a passion for both purchasing and selling products. Buyers need to seek out
products that can produce both turns and profit. Buyers are responsible for products they purchase until
they are sold.
- Being a team player is essential. A buyer will need to interact with the Inventory, warehouse/receiving,
marketing, media, cashier and merchandising staffs, plus other team members who assist in stocking and/
or selling the products.